Project managers face some unexpected problem during the cycles of project management. Listed below are some problems that one can face in a project management cycle and some possible solutions.
a. Loss/absence of a team member
(1) Plan back ups for each critical team Member. Analyse the skills you need and try to make sure at least two team members posses each skill
b. Vendor delays in shipping supplies.
(1) Always check references of the vendor
Materials, or equipment
(2) Plan alternate sources for critical
(3) Plan regular follow-up for tracking
(4) Use incentive or penalty plans
(5) Look for possible substitutions
Over allocation or unavailability
(1) Plan contingencies for critical
Of critical resource resources
(2) Shift resources from non-critical
tasks or projects
(3) Reschedule non-critical tasks
(4) Contract out
(5) Hire additional people
(1) Eliminate nonessential elements
(2) Look for cheaper substitutions
(3) Go beyond the contract to offer a bonus for improved cost or deliver
Project Management Success Tip: Keep a master file of the problems you encounter and your solutions (whether they worked or not). I f you encounter a problem once, you will likely encounter it again, and next time you will know what worked or what didn’t.